Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Remembering Aquinas School

Aquinas School

Aquinas School is in San Juan, Metro Manila.

In Aquinas, I studied from Prep to High School. This is where I graduated in High School. My friends here include my chums back in Elementary and High School, my teachers, and the administrators of the school. My mother worked here also, so her officemates were also known to me.

My classmates and batch mates (1987): Pepito Alvarez, Carlo Urbino, Totie Zulueta, Jojo Somcio (and his brothers Joseph and Paul), Ben Atienza, Eric Salud, Vic Albuero, Jomel Salva, Penera, Ponch Abulencia, Edwin Paguio, Elmer Cruz.

The batchmates of my brother John (1988) - Mattie Fernandez, Arvin Tuiza, Ginoong Nico Cando and Miguel Gonzales

My advisers in pre-school and elementary -Mrs. Amoyo, Mrs. Tabarangao, Mrs. Occeño, Ms. Cruz, Ms. Rellosa, Mr. Managat, Mr. Mayuga.

My teachers in high school - Mrs. Palomeno, Mrs. Calalay, Mrs. Almonte, Ms. Tan. Also, some whom I will never forget - Ms. Felin, Ms. Jalmanzar, Mr. Senatin (my elementary math teacher), Mr. Balog (my high school math teacher), Ms. Goloy, Mrs. Pedigan, Mr. Navarro, Mr. Castillo, Ms. Sanoy (who made me love literature), Ms. Villanos (whose last words to me made me the gutsy fellow that I am -"You have the guts to make it to the top. Remember, no guts, no glory"), Mrs. Cruz and Ms. Fajardo, Mr. Umali, Ms. Emerenciana, the former Mr. Cruz, and Mrs. Palabrica (principals)

Also, the former office mates of my mother - Mrs. Gonzales, Ms. Cristobal, Mrs. Tuiza, Mr. Pol Ferrer, Mr. and Mrs. Ninobla, Mr. Roger Cultura, SG Garceron.
The priests and sisters? How can I forget them? Fr. Juan Lera, Fr. Javier Gonzales, Fr. Miguel (the first boss of my mother), Fr. Jose Perez, Fr. Bonifacio Solis (my idol), Sister Althea Palencia, the former Sister Ma. Corazon Hilado (my first crush ever), Sr. Rosario who wanted to send me to medical school as her scholar, the late Sr. Araceli Arceo

Aquinas School started in 1969. It was ran by the Dominican Fathers, up to the time I graduated in 1987, thank God. Some alumni includes Rudy Fernandez, Gabby Concepcion, Keempee De Leon, Efren Reyes Jr., Jude Ejercito, Aga Muhlach, and Tom Cruise (that's me).

1 comment:

jc WaterRat said...

Hi George. I remember you, at the very least by name. Most of your teachers were mine too. I had a nostalgic experience reading your recollection of Aquinas. Just wondering, do you recall the first name of Ms. Villanos?

Anyway, my batch 1989 is planning to revive the Alumni Association. have any advise on this? Thanks.

Jun Calaycay
- Grade I Mrs. Managat
- Grade 2 Mrs. Norma T. Occeno
- Grade 3 Ms. Lolita M. Felin
- Grade 4 Ms. Adelia Rellosa
- Grade 5 Mr. Leoncio Managat
- Grade 6 Mr. Dimayuga

I-APOLLO - Ms. Lutgarda Goloy
II APOLLO - Ms. Madonna Racela
III APOLLO - Mrs. Sonia F. Almonte
IV APOLLO - Mrs. Norma T. Neo